Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Update on the sempervivums and other succulents

After the summer, most of my succulents are pretty much done growing and looks a bit dried up, but the rain  late in the season is helping them out.


Most of the sempervivums have produced their own chicks despite starting from small cuttings, some producing more than others, but overall I'm satisfied with their performance. Some of them disappeared out of thin air and I'm assuming that they were eaten by some kind of animal because I don't see their remains.








Sedums
These guys are starting to spread out a little, but shouldn't make their real growth until spring once they replenish their growth hormones and experience the wet weather of spring with increased daylight.





Mexican hat plant: This guy is making baby plants and dropping them all over the place so I've been giving them away for free. I think this plant is capable of dropping thousands of little plants in a growing season if grown to maturity, but it's a house plant so these little guys will probably die once the first frost hits.


Aloe: I'm not sure why, but it looks like each pot has a different species of aloe despite coming from the same source.

Epiphyllum: The blossoms only last for about a day, and I have made cuttings off of it to share all year long.

Dragonfruit. Looks like it needs a bigger pot by now.

2 comments:

  1. Your dragonfruit looks AWESOME!! I'm in the middle of getting some seeds right now. Have you tried growing pineapple? It's easy using the crown from a pineapple, I don't bother letting the end dry up, I just pull some of the lower leaves off and put it in a glass of water. I've found that letting the end dry out makes it rarely survive and is stunted for a long time. ALl your plants look great!
    I've grown hen and chicks before, but I've had them disappear, I think it was rabbits eating them. I have some sort of weird succulent that grows well, but not sure what it is, it's a long thin one with small thin leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could simply buy a dragonfruit, eat it, and take out some seeds. Yes, I've tried growing pineapple in the past, but I've never gotten them to fruit before since it simply doesn't get warm enough in this climate.

    With hens and chicks, you might need to grow them starting out in pots, let them get nice and big, and then move them out. As you can tell, My hens and chicks are staying around and should continue to multiply.

    ReplyDelete