Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Winter update on the bamboos

It is around 3 weeks into winter and the lowest temperature so far in my garden is 5.8F, nothing close to being a threat to most of the bamboos that are rated among the hardiest. We are in zone 6a  so temperatures can get a little bit below 0F, but so far we have hardly had any snow and there is not that much arctic air built up in the northern hemisphere for this time of the year so I really doubt my bamboos would have any problems even if they were unprotected. Most of my bamboos will start leaf burning anywhere from +5F to -8F, and they are nowhere near mature so their hardiness should continue to increase for the next few years.

Here's Atrovaginata. I decided to tighten the wrap because it was loose and could be blown off.

A couple are left out just so I can see if they get any leaf burn at certain temperatures.







Here's the yellow groove(phyllostachys atrovaginata)






Phyllostachys Parvifolia: Still no signs of damage on any of the bamboos, but the protection is there just to be safe.
Even the fall shoots still look intact.


Phyllostachys Bissetii





I also added a layer of compost which is not that high in nitrogen however it has been worked through by worms for a long time so there are many micro-nutrients that can help benefit these boos. Once I take off the tarps in March, I can spread it out a little bit better to give the plants a little boost for this year's shooting season.
This stuff is filled with worms.
There's never too much compost so I ended up using up almost all of it, but my neighbor helps me fill it up too so I'm not too concerned about it running out.

This picture sums up how the weather has been so far this winter. Aside from 1 very cold night in the single digits, temperatures have been well above average for the last 2-3 months, and will probably stay that way through the rest of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment