Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

Update on the garlic

I have planted around 2000 garlic gloves last winter and not surprisingly, most of them are coming up now. I have around a dozen species, all in separate beds of both hard neck and soft neck species. I don't care much about the names since the foliage on them is very hard to distinguish, but I'll know they are different when I harvest them. One of the things I am noticing is that the ones planted earlier in october are just a little bit further along than the ones planted as late as December, but they seem to be catching up so planting times don't seem to be that big of a deal.

Here's my original species of softneck garlic which produces average sized cloves with a pretty decent flavor, but doesn't have a very long shelf life.






They are literally planted all over the place.Hopefully having them all around will keep the deer away.

Here are some of my german hardneck garlic sprouts grown from bulbils
Another hardneck variety


Here's the hardneck magic garlic grown from large cloves. The nice thing about hardneck garlic is that they have much larger cloves with generally stronger flavor than softnecks, except they average a shorter storage life. I'm definitely going to keep many of these in propagation.

1 comment:

  1. My partner and i spend less some sort of contradict in order to orchestrate the most effective article in my class. I had run truant associated with insights simply acknowledges for your publish, My partner and i instantly seize how you can obtain the actual opposition. Admit an individual therefore lots for this! Weeder Prong

    ReplyDelete