Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Sempervivum update May 13, 2011

All the sempervivums that were bought about 3 months ago started as little cuttings, but they have all doubled or tripled in diameter and some of them are starting to make chicks. I believe some species will be able to put out over 10 chicks in a year, but I'll find out soon enough.


Here are 5 of them with chicks already produced. They will probably get several inches away from the hen, and perhaps become established enough this year to make their own chicks.



 I'm also starting some mixed species from seed just to see what species I can come up with. They are not that hard to germinate as I sprinkled mine into a pot, but they start out very tiny.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, your plant preferences are too much like mine. If you lived close,I'd visit your garden.... Not in WV are you?

    I'm sure I'll continue to see more posting from you on GW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually quite a bit north of you in Rochester NY right below lake ontario, but I still grow a lot of plants that are not normally grown in my area.

    I'll be hanging around GW every now and then.

    ReplyDelete